Friday, September 18, 2009

Mojito sorbet, pina colada sorbet and more


When it was 100+ degrees this summer, I found the best way to cool down was with a refreshing sorbet, made even more refreshing by the addition of rum.

I used my KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment, which made it super fast and easy. Also, this is a recipe where you can't go wrong...taste it halfway through freezing, and if you don't it adjust the ingredient amounts.

Mojito sorbet

juice of 1 lime (or more, to taste)
1 small bunch mint
1 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
rum to taste

Boil water, remove from heat, add sugar and mint. Steep mint for 5 minutes then discard. Mix ingredients in a bowl or pitcher, add more sugar, rum or lime to taste (you can also throw in some limeade if you're too lazy to squeeze limes. Just cut back on the sugar, or get rid of it altogether.) Put in refrigerator or freezer until cold, but not freezing.

Pour mixture into ice cream freezer and freeze according to directions. It takes about 20 minutes to get to a good thick consistency.

Pina Colada Sorbet
I must say, that of all the liquor sorbets I've made, I prefer the pina colada sorbet by far. It's got a lovely smooth, creamy texture and it's incredibly easy. I tried making it with fresh pineapple that I pureed and cream of coconut, but I found the texture fibrous. Maybe I should've strained the pineapple and just used the juice.

But why go to the trouble when R.W. Knudsen's pineapple-coconut juice works just as well and tastes just as good. Pour a bottle of cold pineapple coconut juice in the ice cream maker along with rum and sit back while your sorbet mixes itself.

No comments: